Saturday, September 24, 2011

Part 9 - The Lost Coast Trail - Day 1 - Punta Gorda Light to Sea Lion Gulch

START HERE - THE LOST COAST PART 1

... continued from part 8


The next section of the trail was where it really gets interesting.  On the trail map provided by BLM, there were sections of the trail that are marked impassable during high tide.  It was after 1PM in the afternoon and we had about 4 hours until high tide.  Basically it was coming in and we had to hustle.  Seems foolish really - this is not something to mess around with.  Do not try this at home - Mother Nature is a Bitch.  I don't personally think so - but I saw that on a T-shirt once and thought it was funny.   But she is pissed off - Sandy the superstorm kind if says that.   Anyway, I digress.  The points marked in red below represent the start and end points for this post.  I recently discovered I could get Google Earth running on my new laptop so I was excited to embrace the new imagery.
Punta Gorda to Sea Lion Gulch
Heading SE from the Punta Gorda light, the Lost Coast trail takes a nice welcome turn inland to a trail that rides along the top of the cliff wall; off the sand and the difficult footing of the beach.  I can't tell you how many times I tripped on kelp whips that washed up on the beach. 

Hey...wait for me
Gone
Long way down.
The ridge trail can be somewhat intimidating at times.  One trip at the edge and over you go.  The ride down to the beach would be spectacular.  The bear canister in my pack would really keep me bouncing as it acts like a nice air bag spring.  My cooking kit would provide the musical soundtrack - clang - clang - clang.  I think I need more cowbell.  Then the finish on the rocks would be short lived as a big ice cold wave would take me out to Davy Jones' Locker.   Brrrrrr.

Great sunning rock for the birds
We were like Mountain Goats
Finally got ahead of the boys
We spent the next hour or so working our way around the ridge - Mountain Goat Style.  Careful footing was a must.  The temps we up from earlier and it was very comfortable.  And the view from up here was beyond spectacular.  No development for as far as you could see - oceanfront property and not a boardwalk or Thrasher's Fry to be found.  Love it!!
Here the ocean was so blue and calm.  Just a short while ago, near Punta Gorda, the ocean was much rougher as the wind had whipped it up and slammed it into the shore.  Here we were on the lee side so it was mild and perfect.
Here we are...over here.
Are we there yet?
Back down - Sea Lion Gulch
Our adventure as goats came to an end and we left the ridge trail to head back down to the beach via Sea Lion Gulch.  As I mentioned earlier, the beach has a "kill zone" if you don't get past it in time.  You can't climb up and you can't outrun the waves.  Based on the last pic - you can see the tide is up and we have an hour or two to get past the rough spot.  It is like a Johnny Quest episode - we have to grab the rare jewels and make it back before the ocean reaches us.  Oh yeah!!



Up Next - Part 10 - The Lost Coast Trail - Day 1 Sea Lion to Randall Creek



No comments:

Post a Comment